Monday, December 31, 2007

Working Girl

I am working tonight. I haven't been in for over a week but I have to put in at least two hours starting at 8 pm. We have our Road Warrior clinic tonight which usually goes from ten to midnight. Some kind soul realized this was unacceptable for New Year's Eve.

This will probably involve donning some purple latex free gloves and serving up some salad and a mushy casserole. I will then do my best to talk the kids into being seen by the doctor. It is highly likely I will have at least one conversation about someone's pissed off partner or how someone got their squat raided and they need a new blanket. Someone will probably yell at me for not allowing them more than one or two pair of socks. Thing is, if the rest of the staff weren't looking, I'd give them the whole damn drawer full.

I will hand out hygiene items and try to "engage" with the peeps identified as needing mental health services even though I won't be able to get them in with the psychiatrist for at least a month if they actually want meds. Some of them deny any need for services, most do actually. At least at first. Even if they have oozing wounds that anyone can see are beyond nasty and painful. The ones who probably need it the worst think they don't. This is what makes the job exciting and rewarding I suppose. And really overwhelmingly depressing at times.

For some reason I don't feel like partying it up this '08 eve. I think I will go have a beer with a few of my co-workers after we get out. We can recap the evening. If I am feeling super sassy, I may send out a text or two inviting a special crush-worthy boy or two to the bar. Except I am feeling kind of fat and dull. Dullard. Way too much sleep the past few days.

Happy New Year! Tonight I am going to wear my new favorite t-shirt which reads: Gimme that County Western Music. Hot, right?

3 comments:

Shan said...

Maybe it was a year for keepin' it on the down low. I know that's pretty much all I ever do as New Years almost always comes exactly one week after Christmas! ;} I feel kind of tired of parties and specials by that time. It's nice that you at least handed out a little glad tiding and comfort on the 31st. It WOULD be hard to see such sadness all the time! Hope your '08 is triumphant!!

PCisforPopCulture said...

Hope you had a nice, low-key night without too much drama. I constantly talk about what great work you do. Don't lose sight of that sense of purpose. I too have it in my career. I make the world a better place by reporting the numbers so goods can be shipped. It's exactly the same thing as helping people who are in crisis. Okay, not exactly. You do a tremendous job. Try not to become overly depressed about it. You are only one person and can only do so much. Happy new year. Love you.

Tally said...

Again, pictures would be good. Would love to see that t. Hopefully I've fixed the glich with my profile. Glad we got to chat. Fun times.
Oh, I always think of you and Anshel as on the exact same level of self-sacrificing, frontline, drudgery. Exactly. You should hear his work tales. I would NEVER want to be an accountant! Keehee. JK Anshel. You do good work too! I know you've gotten me out of more than one scrape. I'm forever grateful!